Background

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

First email from Peru!

Just so you know, I’m still alive! Know that I love you all. I don’t have time for long individual emails, so here is my group email. If you feel anything is intended for you, that’s because it is, and the spirit is reassuring you of that!

It really sucks not being able to see the family in a ten minute car ride, but I’m gaining a lot of experience here. I had a pretty interesting week here in Lima. My area is a district in Lima, called Chorrillos, (not pronouncing the ll's). It’s really cool here. The water isn’t safe to drink (this is indeed a third world country). But I think this is a nicer part of my mission. We have hot water for showers, and apparently that’s pretty standard in our mission, but only as of recently. Thank goodness. Funny thing, I didn’t know about the hot showers until like 2 days ago.  My comp had never told me how to do it. You have to flip a switch, and turn the knob barely. That’s ok, I’ll let that slide. But, only this time, Elder Gomez.... haha. My companion doesn’t know hardly any English, only a select few phrases: “Take it easy”, “come on”, “player”, “get out of here”, “no need for the meanies”, “10-4 good buddy”, and stuff like that. He was supposed to have been studying English for the past 18 months, but apparently he hasn’t. haha. It’s made my transition pretty hard. I have to ask every question, tell any joke, and learn everything in Spanish. It is tough! We’ve grown closer over this course of less than a week, and getting along really well. He’s really funny, and likes to get to work, so it’s an awesome combination. The buildings and everything here are run down. A lot of the streets are dirt, and the only transportation is walking or these weird buses. They have normal buses and stuff, but otherwise these weird Nissan buses that no one drives in the United States. They also have what are called moto-taxis, which are these motor cycle type things that have been built to have a cab on the back. Apparently, they are really common in South America. They have normal taxis too, but I think those are expensive because we’ve only taken one, when we first arrived. Everything here has been made for smaller people. The people are just smaller. Some people, like fathers, I can’t tell how old they are. They are relatively young and really short. It’s difficult at times, but I’m picking it up. We have these investigators that are living together but not married. That is extremely common here. She was less active, but not anymore and he is a non- member. He’s been preparing for his baptism for a while now. They are getting married sometime this month, and he is getting baptized on the 20th. I’m so excited for it. It’ll be awesome! I know I didn’t even know him until like 5 days ago, but he is really awesome. He tries really hard to understand, and he’s learning line upon line. He’s really great. I’m happy for him, and excited for his baptism! We met the members of the ward, and they are awesome! Lots of great people here. The ward is friendly, ready to help and we definitely need their help.

I had a really hard time on Thursday. I had a bad morning, and just wasn’t feeling confident in my abilities. My tongue was not being loosed, and because of that, no one really wanted to take the time and listen to my stuttering. I don’t blame them. As me and my companion were trying to do some practices, and practice teaching, I was sitting there thinking to myself, “how can I do this?” “why am I out here?” “I can’t learn this language, its impossible”. I kept getting a prompting to say a prayer.
After ignoring it for so long, and trying to carry on with my own abilities, I told my comp that I need to say a prayer. I went into our room, got on my knees, and said an earnest prayer for help. I prayed for comfort, for the gift of tongues, for reassurance in my abilities, and the desire to keep moving forward. I was blessed. I have definitely gained a greater testimony of prayer out here. I know that my Heavenly Father loves me, and that He loves all his children. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that He suffered our transgressions, our pains, and our afflictions. He did this so that He would know how to help his people. He knows exactly what we need, and then He tells the Holy Ghost. Then He waits for us to act on the promptings. I did not know what to do, but He knew what I needed. I’m so grateful for my Savior and Redeemer. He is my rock, and I know that if I build my foundation upon Him and his principles, I cannot fail. Satan will not have any way of reaching me. The scriptures are a huge part of missionary work, as you know. I’ve been striving really hard to receive inspiration for me and my investigators. The Lord is with us in all that we do, and he "will not leave you comfortless. I will come to you" (amazing scripture!).

Love you tons,
Elder Danny Wilson

Mexico Aug. 2014

Mexico City Temple

Pres. and Sis. Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment